MILITARY PYROTECHNIC PRODUCTION FACILITY – CAPUA

MILITARY PYROTECHNIC PRODUCTION FACILITY – CAPUA

industrial capabilities

PRODUCTION OF SMALL-CALIBRE MILITARY AMMUNITION

The Military Pyrotechnic Production Facility of Capua is capable of supplying all types of small-calibre ammunition. Its activities are primarily based on contracts awarded by the Italian Armed Forces, as well as by the Armed Forces of foreign countries under specific agreements.

In particular, in cooperation with the company Fiocchi, the Facility is able to provide the following goods and services:

 

  • Linking (belt assembly) of small-calibre cartridges in the 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm and 12.7 mm calibres. Once the linking process is completed, the ammunition undergoes weapon function testing at the Facility’s Ballistics Laboratory and is subsequently packaged in metal ammunition cases, palletised and dispatched to the customer;
  • Screen printing of metal ammunition cases according to their contents. The Facility is able to screen print any type of ammunition case, for both military and civilian applications, as it is equipped with a highly versatile semi-automatic screen-printing machine capable of meeting a wide range of requirements;
  • Production of cups (“stozzati”) for the manufacture of 5.56 mm cartridge cases;
  • Production of cups for the external jacketing of 7.62 mm ball bullets;
  • Production of projectile bodies for the 12.7 mm FAIR cartridge and for the 7.62 mm short-range cartridge. The Facility is equipped with two CNC machining centres enabling continuous (24/7) production of the above-mentioned projectiles.

The expertise of the Facility’s personnel is reflected not only in the precision of production activities, but also in inspection and testing operations, both in-house and at external suppliers. In particular, specialised personnel from the Facility carry out numerous testing activities at the premises of Fiocchi, working in full synergy with the personnel of the Directorate of Land Armaments (UTTAT Nettuno). This ensures technical rigour and high product quality standards, benefiting national defence and contributing to the continuous improvement of the domestic industrial sector.

All processes — both production and non-production — comply with ISO 9001 standards, certifying the effective implementation of Quality Management principles.

With a view to expanding the Facility’s production activities:

  • A new production line for loading 12.7 mm cartridges in their various configurations is currently being implemented. In addition to cartridge loading and assembly, the line is capable of applying colour identification to different types of bullets (Ball, Tracer, API and API-T). The Facility is also equipped with dedicated instrumentation for conducting EPVAT tests (Energy – Pressure – Velocity – Action Time) and for testing cartridge performance at extreme temperatures;
  • Executive design and implementation are underway for two additional production lines:
    • one line for the complete manufacture of 9 mm cartridges;
    • one line for the full production of cartridge cases for 5.56 mm ammunition.

certifications

MILITARY PYROTECHNIC PRODUCTION FACILITY – CAPUA

history

HISTORICAL ORIGINS OF THE FACILITY

The Military Pyrotechnic Production Facility of Capua originated from the Elaboratorio de’ fuochisti at Capo di Posillipo. This workshop was established and brought into operation during the 1840s to more effectively meet the production needs for the “various prepared war pyrotechnic devices” required by the artillery of the Army and Navy of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

The choice of the outermost area of the Bourbon capital was dictated by the need to locate the facility in a site that would not pose risks to the Neapolitan population, given that the workshop produced sulphurous and combustible emissions.

Within a few years, the initial establishment became a centre of excellence in industrial production supporting the military preparedness of the Bourbon Kingdom, meeting a substantial portion of its wartime ammunition requirements.

Through the transformation of the original workshop, the Royal Military Pyrotechnic Works of Posillipo was established, concentrating a significant part of the State’s military pyrotechnic production, thanks to the formation of a highly skilled corps of artificers.

In order to provide more stable working conditions for the same workforce, military production was complemented by the manufacture of what were then known as “decorative pyrotechnic displays,” now commonly referred to as fireworks. This industrial choice was acknowledged and appreciated by the royal court itself, which benefited from a production facility capable of supporting official celebrations and public festivities.

At the same time, continuous modernization of the installations was undertaken, including the addition of a hydraulic press, enabling the loading of military rockets to be carried out on site.

Urban development and evolving military requirements of the Kingdom, however, led to a relocation inland. In 1856, the activities of the Posillipo works were transferred to a new facility in Capua, already an important Bourbon military stronghold.

The site selected was the ancient Castle of St. Peter, originally built in 1542 at the behest of Emperor Charles V of Habsburg on the remains of a Lombard castle, near the Roman-era Casilino Bridge over the Volturno River.

Ammunition production expanded further until the definitive transition in 1861 to the newly established Kingdom of Italy. Industrial activities continued to grow, and the Capua Pyrotechnic Facility became a centre of excellence at both national and international levels in the production of various types of rifle and pistol cartridges, pyrotechnic devices and shrapnel boxes.

Growing production needs led to the establishment of additional auxiliary facilities, gradually relocating operations outside the central body of the Castle, which had become insufficient for the expanding industrial activity.

When production of the well-known Model 1891 rifle began in 1894, the Capua Pyrotechnic Facility was responsible for the powder production line.

The quantitative growth of the plants — employing approximately one thousand workers by 1910 — brought about a transformation in the social fabric of Capua itself, closely linked to the changing military requirements of the liberal State.

A new phase of production expansion took place in the 1930s, in line with the renewed military ambitions of the Kingdom of Italy. During the Second World War, manufacturing output increased further. Ongoing research and development led to the extension of operations to the adjacent “former new Cartridge Factory,” which was later bombed during the conflict.

The post-war period brought new infrastructural adjustments. After a long period of neglect, architectural restoration works on the Castle began in 1986 and were completed in 1999, restoring spaces of considerable historical value.

At the same time, the renewed facility developed over an area of 164,500 square metres, with a perimeter of 1,690 metres.

As of 1 January 2017, pursuant to a Ministerial Decree of 29 December 2016, the Military Pyrotechnic Production Facility came under the direct authority of the Defence Industries Agency.

Today, the Facility’s core activities consist of the production of small-calibre ammunition for small arms for the Armed Forces and other State armed corps, including in cooperation with the national defence industry.

location and contacts