MILITARY FUZES PRODUCTION FACILITY – TORRE ANNUNZIATA
MILITARY FUZES PRODUCTION FACILITY – TORRE ANNUNZIATA
industrial capabilities
ENHANCEMENT OF ARMED FORCES SURPLUS
The Military Fuzes Production Facility of Torre Annunziata is engaged in the enhancement and disposal of decommissioned military materials and ground vehicles, which are subsequently placed on the market for sale.
MILITARY FUZES PRODUCTION FACILITY – TORRE ANNUNZIATA
history
historical origins of the industrial plant
The Military Fuzes Production Facility of Torre Annunziata originated from the Cannon Powder Factory, or Royal Powder Magazine, established in the Vesuvian area in 1652. The activities were transferred there from Naples due to concerns that the unrest which had shaken the city five years earlier, led by Masaniello, might recur.
Two years later, the site became the Royal Powder Magazine, making a decisive contribution to the production of gunpowder — the principal propellant component — benefiting from the presence of the Sarno Canal, an artificial waterway already in operation to power the mills of Torre Annunziata.
The central role of this early industrial site grew significantly about a century later, when the Bourbon court sought to free the royal treasury from the high costs of imported military goods. In addition to the reasons that had originally led to the creation of the powder magazine, the choice of the Vesuvian location was influenced by the existence of the facility itself and the availability of extensive state-owned land.
From 1757 onwards, renovation and expansion of the old plant began. Four years later, renewed production of military equipment for the Army of the Kingdom of Naples commenced, with the aim of achieving independence from foreign suppliers.
The new facility in Torre Annunziata, which included an ironworks and was subsequently designated the Royal Arms Factory, functioned as a synergistic workshop within a broader network of interdependent establishments involved in the production of raw materials and semi-finished goods. These supported the adjacent construction and assembly of finished weapons, whether bladed or firearms. In effect, this became the largest small-arms factory in southern Italy.
It is also worth noting that the multifunctional installation in Torre Annunziata was characterised by a clear distinction between logistical areas — dedicated to command and administrative functions — and those devoted to actual production. Both the scale and quality of output increased alongside the expansion of the facilities, for which even the renowned architect Luigi Vanvitelli was engaged.
Thanks to this progressive infrastructural expansion, production was extended to include luxury and hunting weapons for the private market, although the primary objective remained the supply of the Army. Industrial development also became a driving force for the creation of distinctly Italian weapon models, moving beyond mere imitation of foreign designs.
The technical solutions introduced were varied and innovative, surpassing the original autarkic military purpose. Indeed, the synergy between design and skilled labour contributed to the qualitative advancement of the entire Vesuvian area: workers evolved into true craftsmen and weapons technicians.
Another decision of great importance was the separation of administrative responsibility from military command, thereby reducing constraints on the entrepreneurial character of the establishment.
In 1848, the Vesuvian factory was entrusted with the production of gunpowder for the entire Bourbon Kingdom, following the closure of the Sulmona Powder Works (which had served civilian purposes), shut down for reasons of public order.
The coexistence of multiple production activities in Torre Annunziata came to an end in 1857. Following several explosion-related incidents, it was decided to transfer the original powder magazine to Scafati, where a new powder works had meanwhile been established.
This relocation allowed the Arms Factory in Torre Annunziata to expand into the premises vacated by the powder magazine, thereby increasing its production capacity for artillery barrels and blades.
The institutional reorganisation of the Campania region following the southern expansion of the Kingdom of Italy did not alter the functions of the long-established Royal Arms Factory. Instead, it remained engaged in the continuous evolution of rifle components, which were progressively adapted and modified until the introduction of the well-known Model 1891.
Further infrastructural expansion led to a functional reorganisation, culminating in a change to its principal functions in 1901. In 1911, the Arms Factory became a detached section of the Artillery Construction Arsenal. In the period following the First World War, it was primarily engaged in the repair of war surplus materials.
By then, circumstances had changed significantly. Renamed the Fuze Works (Spolettificio), the industrial installation ceased the production and repair of firearms, specialising instead exclusively in the manufacture of various types of fuzes and grenades.
In line with the country’s military history, during the Second World War the Torre Annunziata facility sustained severe damage, further compounded after the Armistice of 8 September 1943 by deliberate destruction carried out by occupying German forces.
Production resumed only in 1946 following a comprehensive reconstruction of the plants, which were primarily dedicated to the manufacture of hand grenades.
In 1977, the facility was renamed the Military Ground Ammunition Establishment – Fuzes Directorate, and in 1984 it assumed its current designation of Military Fuzes Production Facility.
Transferred in 2001 under the management of the Defence Industries Agency, the Torre Annunziata site has since focused primarily on the dismantling of Italian Armed Forces vehicles, with the objective of recovering specific equipment, releasing assets from military status, and subsequently placing them on the civilian market.
On 17 April 2023, a memorandum of understanding was signed providing for the transfer of a portion of the Torre Annunziata military facility from the Ministry of Defence to the Ministry of Culture, with the aim of redeveloping structures of greater historical and artistic significance.
location and contacts
- Piazza P. Morrone, 5 80058 Torre Annunziata (NA)
- EMAIL: spolemiles@aid.difesa.it
- TEL: 081 8615050